It was over 90 here in DC this week, so fall doesn’t seem like it’s here yet. But there are moments in the morning and evening when I can feel it, like it’s right around the corner. Each season has quintessential qualities and activities about it. This is what I’m looking forward this fall!
- Apple picking. Ok, I know that there are other fall fruits and vegetables. But actually going to pick apples, or squash or pumpkins from a field/orchard is something I only do in the fall, and not even every year. Last time I went to Larriland Farm, which has tons of space to bring your lunch, wander the orchards and fields. Inevitably I end up with “way too many” apples and spend weeks making pie filling to freeze, pies, apple cider, baked apples… you get the idea.
- Changing leaves. This may be my favorite part of fall. I love watching the leaves go golden, orange and red. And my inner child really loves shuffling through piles of leaves on the sidewalk (I restrain myself from jumping in piles of leaves).
- Cooler running weather. I love running when it’s 50-70 degrees. To me, it’s perfect running weather. The super hot and humid days of summer over, and the colder winter days of multiple layers aren’t here yet. And, fall is race season!
- Tea. I definitely drink more chai and black tea in the fall. This is not to say that I’m disloyal to my coffee habit, but in the evenings, spiced tea is just perfect. It warms you up, can be calming, and the smell just reminds me of fall.
- Butternut squash. I’m not such a pumpkin spice kind of gal, but give me recipes with squash, nutmeg or sage, and I’m happy. I’m a particular fan of a 4-5 ingredient butternut squash soup recipe I have, and butternut squash-kale-bread pudding.
What are you looking forward about this fall? Any races or traditions or rewards?