I love a good link-up and taking a look back at the past year. I’m joining the Year of Running 2016 link-up organized by Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run DC. Here’s a roundup from my year.
- Best race experience: I had 8 races this year. 2 marathons, 4 half marathons, a 10-miler and a 5K. I’d have to say my best race was the Dusseldorf Marathon in April. It was my first international race and the furthers travel race I’ve ever done. It was also the best I’ve ever felt after a marathon. I would absolutely recommend that race to others!
- Best run: Do you ever have a run where everything feels good and you feel powerful, and like you can almost fly? That’s how I felt at the Gobble Wobble 5K in November. I’m still surprised how good I felt despite the Colorado altitude, recovering bursitis, eye infection, and crowded path. I pushed but felt really good the whole run, and was rewarded with a new PR.
- Best new piece of running gear: My Garmin! I love it- even though it’s been malfunctioning for the past two months. Good reminder to call Garmin this week!
- Best running advice you’ve received this year: Take care of the injury. My friends and family were telling me this for several weeks before I actually did. I should gone to see a doctor/PT sooner. But I’m very glad that I did. It’s a good reminder that I’m not bulletproof, and that I should remember to stretch, strengthen, and rest.
- Most inspirational runner: My friend Jenn. She was diagnosed with cancer in early 2016, and kept running through the whole year, while undergoing treatment, and kicking butt! Her work ethic and positivity have been seriously inspiring this year. Plus, the girl ran at least 2 half marathons this year!
- Favorite picture from a run or race this year:
I had just finished the Dusseldorf Marathon where it had snowed (!?!), I felt great, and I love the people hugging the background.
- Race experience you would repeat in a heartbeat: The Shamrock Half Marathon was a miserable, character-building race in March. But, it was with a bunch of my running girlfriends, and that just made the weekend. I would repeat the weather to repeat the time with friends!
- If you could sum up your year in a couple of words what would they be? Change. Friendship. Always Learning. I had several new experiences, ran a bunch with my running friends, and have learned some important lessons about blogging, running and myself. I’m excited to see what 2017 will hold!