I realized that I tend to take vacations in August. I may to do with the busy cycles of my previous job, school schedules, and things like that. But it also means I’ve done plenty of running on vacation over the past 6 years. Here are my favorite runs on vacations- in no particular order.
- Wells, Maine. I ran along a quiet highway, through a wetland area and out to the beach. This is not a sun bathing beach- even in August. But it’s great to walk/run along.
- Pre’s Trail in Eugene, Oregon. I’m not a big running history buff, but even I know about Steve Prefontaine. There is a set of trails in Eugene names after him. It just felt so iconic to run a few miles on those trail.
- Red Rocks, Colorado. I’m a native Coloradan, but I didn’t run when I lived there. So running/working out with my brother and sister-in-law one holiday week was fantastic! Hill and stair workout in one!
- San Francisco, California. I did a 16 mile training run through San Francisco. People ask me how I managed it by myself. The answer- I played tourist! I ran across the Golden Gate bridge, along the Embarcadero, by all of the piers, through the Haight. I would stop and take pictures along the way and wasn’t concerned about time. Just get it done, and enjoy the city!
- Santa Cruz, California. Ok, so this may be because I’m here this week, and incredibly grateful for the break in temperature and humidity. But running along the boardwalk and pier is really fun. And, there are tons of sea lions that hang out at the wharf!
Where is your favorite vacation running spot?